Capstone Performance Systems is now accepting nominations for the 2019 Richard O. Schamp, MD, Award. The Award is presented annually to a PACE Medical Director who espouses the many principles Dr. Schamp championed. David Wenzel, DO, of Midland Care was the inaugural 2018 recipient.
This year, nomination for the award is open to any PACE Medical Director whose organization is a client of a CareVention HealthCare company (Capstone, CareKinesis, Cognify, Mediture, and PeakTPA/eClusive). The criteria to be used in selecting this year’s honoree are as follows:
The Medical Director…
- Leads the IDT in a deep and ongoing understanding of every participant’s Goals of Care;
- Supported by the NPA’s Model Practices, focuses the IDT’s Care Plan and all planned medical interventions around the participant’s expressed wishes;
- Champions among the IDT a reverence for participant autonomy;
- With the help of the IDT, creates a participant’s living environment that respects the “Dignity of Risk;”
- Masters and teaches the Principles of Clinical Documentation Excellence, driving optimal risk scores for all participants;
- Leads the development of a Quality Program that promotes the safety and well-being of all participants.
Nominations may be emailed by August 30, 2019, to George “Mike” Brett, MD, Senior Vice President for Consulting/Chief Medical Officer of Capstone at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should explain in detail how the nominee meets the established standards. Nominations by PACE Executive Directors are an important factor in determining the winner as these PACE leaders can provide insight as to why a Medical Director best fulfills these criteria. Such nominations are critical in the decision-making process.
The Award winner will be recognized on Sunday evening, October 13, at the CareVention HealthCare event that takes place in conjunction with the National PACE Association’s Annual Conference in New Orleans. Capstone will cover the cost of round-trip airfare and two nights hotel accommodations for the awardee and one companion.
The Richard O. Schamp, MD, Award was established in 2018. Dr. Schamp’s contributions to Geriatric Medicine in championing a patient’s goals of care in both care planning and advance directives are many. His research in these areas laid the foundation for the for the development of the National PACE Association’s Model Practices. His desire in 2004 to help PACE programs understand and manage the then-new CMS Hierarchical Condition Category payment model led to the development of today’s Capstone Performance Systems.
For more information or to nominate a PACE Medical Director, please email Dr. Brett at email@example.com. The deadline for nominations is August 30, 2019.